Saturday, January 28, 2006

Zzzzzz

I'm someone who really values my zzzz time. In fact I consider it almost sacred. Certainly if I get any less than 6 hours kip a night I live the following day with a head full of cotton-wool and eye-bags to my jaw. So maybe that's why I'm struggling to get to grips with the Nigerian attitude to sleep. I just can't comprehend it at all. Every single night there is something that jolts me from my slumber. It could be any of the following:

* Night vigil at one or three of the churches that surround my compound. This generally takes place between 1-3am, with loud speakers facing out of the church.
* The clangitty-clang of the night watchman every hour. (see previous post)
* A neighbour playing warbly love ballards at 2am.
* A neighbour sweeping and beating carpets at 4am.
* Call to prayer at the mosque at 5am.
* Shouting and singing at 5.30am.

You might guess that this is a nation of heavy sleepers, and it's just my super-sensitive night-time bat ears that allow me to be disturbed by this racket. But investigation proves that while there are thundering snorers (renowned worldwide for falling asleep first and not missing a snort until daybreak), there are also many many people who are similarly woken throughout the night.

That being the case, I simply don't understand how people can justify being the perpetrators of such a din when they know people are trying to get some shut-eye. Surely it's obvious that if you start beating carpets at 4am your neighbours won't be getting the luxury of sleeping til six. More to the point - what on earth possesses you to take on such a task at that hour?

No-one ever complains. They just get on with the day as normal, sleep or no sleep. I just can't fathom it. I really can't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home