Monday, July 10, 2006

Snails




If you venture to the market in Nigeria, you may come across a basket full of huge snails, squelching and sliming all over each other. For 250 naira you can purchase four of the giant mollusks to serve as a tasty snack to an unsuspecting friend.

If preferred the market lady will kindly give them a whack, and remove the shells. Once home, you will need to wash them in both cold and boiling water to remove all the goo. Parboil with a stock cube for flavouring, then fry in plenty oil (guts and all) and hey presto!

This is, of course, exactly what we did for Alex’s birthday treat; except we spent 500 naira so he could savour the flavour 8 times over.

NB: If you decide to follow this course of action don’t feign interest in tasting the food. I did, to my demise. After helping me cook, my neighbour sliced one up. I could hardly refuse after all her effort….

Chew chew chew chew chew chew…….. gulp.