Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Ain't it got dark quick?!

Gazing to the heavens, silly spectacles, sand between my toes, banana pancake in my belly, crash of waves tickling my ear drums, temperature already topping 30C at 8am…… can you guess where I am yet?

Ghana of course! Watching the total solar eclipse! What was it like? Incredible, strong, eerie, fantastic, moving, exciting, inspiring, humbling. And the light! It was as if the light was being sucked from earth, gradually at first, but then with a sudden final gulp it was gone - swallowed by the moon. With the moon in seemingly suspended animation for over 3 minutes we were left with a halo of sun rays and stars twinkling. Oooohs, aaaaahhs, and wows filled the air as we viewed this natural spectacle of giant proportions.

Considering I was even a bit spooked by the eclipse, I’d be interested to see what people thought in the villages around us. If you have no understanding of the workings of the solar system whatsoever, and little or no exposure to the media, how would you behold the event?